Looking for Answers? Our FAQ has you covered. If these frequently asked questions don’t clear up confusion, feel free to give us a call at 1-888-346-8899.


Does my pet's microchip need to be Activated?

Microchips do not require activation. They must, however, be registered!

Who registers the microchip once it is implanted? 

Whoever implanted the microchip must register that microchip, along with the animal and owner information, initially. This applies whether it was a veterinarian, breeder, or rescue group.

What is the difference between a Registration and a Premium EIDAP registration?

The Registration is what your Vet/Breeder/Rescue group reports to EIDAP when they implant the Microchip. A Premium registration is optional, and allows the pet owner to add information, such as an alternate contact, a vet clinic, and even a picture, for a small fee.

How do I update my address on my registration?

Please SIGN-UP to get access to your account. Once logged in you can click on the Owner Profile tab and update your personal information including address and phone numbers. 

My pet is missing! What do I do?

We understand how stressful it is when your pet is missing, and we want to help! We have launched a Lost Pet Notification form online to help you get all the important information to us as quickly as possible. Be sure to let us know if your contact information has changed as well. We also recommend contacting your local Humane Societies, SPCA's, Animal Control agencies, and vet clinics in the immediate area to let them know that your microchipped pet is missing. The more people who know you're looking for your pet, the better!

What is an external tag?

The external tag is a small, round, metal tag that EIDAP provides as an additional ID. This tag has EIDAP's contact information and a unique 6-digit number on it that we link to the microchip registration. This allows us to access the registration using either number. This tag also identifies your pet as having an EIDAP microchip.

Who should I list as an Alternate Contact?

We recommend that you list someone like a friend or neighbour as your alternate contact. A family member that lives nearby is also a good choice. Your alternate contact should be someone we can contact if we can't reach you, so it should not be someone with the same phone numbers as the owner (i.e.: a spouse). We can list your spouse as a co-owner, if desired.

I just purchased/adopted my pet. How do I transfer the microchip registration to my name?

We allow only the person listed as the Owner in our database to make changes to a registration. You should have that person contact us directly via email registry@eidap.com to confirm that we may transfer the registration to you. If the registered owner is unable to be contacted or will not update on your behalf, please complete the upgraded registration form and include supporting documents. If you have questions, please send an email to info@eidap.com to inquire further.

This is my child's pet. Can I register them as the owner?

If your child is over the age of 18, yes. The person registered as the owner needs to be able to take legal responsibility for the pet and its registration.

My dog's breeder registered the microchip at the Canadian Kennel Club. Do I need to register with EIDAP?

Yes. EIDAP supplies the Canadian Kennel Club (CKC) with their microchips. This means that if your pet is ever picked up stray, the microchip prefix (the 956 at the beginning) will always lead to us first. For this reason, we strongly recommend that you register your dog with both the CKC (for the pedigree), and with EIDAP (for identification and recovery). You can complete an upgraded registration form to add your information to Eidap's database.

I am the Alternate contact on file, can I make changes to the registration?

Our policy requires that any changes to a record must be made by the currently registered owner of the pet. If you are the alternate contact on file, we will not be able to process your request. Please have the registered owner update the file and they can add you as a co-owner if they wish.

My pet's microchip is from another country or a different microchip company. Can I register it with EIDAP?

Absolutely! As it is not a microchip that EIDAP sold, you will need to complete the Upgraded registration form with payment. Also, keep in mind that the microchip's prefix (the first three digits) will most likely lead to a different microchip company, so it's a very good idea to keep the registration up-to-date there as well.

I am travelling/moving abroad. What do I need to do?

Your first step is to visit your veterinarian. They will know what tests need to be done, and what vaccinations are required. You should also ensure that your pet's microchip registration is up-to-date and correct. Be sure to update your address with us as soon as possible as well!

Can I register an address that is not in Canada?

Yes. We will register any address on file if your pet is registered in the database under your name. There is no additional fee to add a foreign address on file.